September 8, 2009

A Purse for Remembrance



This imitation Anna Sui purse was with me for about 10 years until it was very worn out. I bought it when I was part of the PETEP (Primary English Teachers Education Project). We had to dress up nicely when we presented our papers. Perhaps attire was a very important part of professionalism. I carried this purse even after I retired.

For several years during the project period I was trained to be first a trainer and then I trained others. We were given opportunities to write modules and travelled around the country.

We worked very hard to improve the teaching of English.  But there were a lot of obstacles here and there. People are very difficult to change.

When we were gathered together to write modules, we worked from morning till night. Some even did not sleep because they had to do presentation the next day. When their turn was over, they slept through other people's presentation. They honestly admitted to that.

And in fact a few lecturers passed away due to over work. May they rest in peace.

The project enriched me and I am very grateful that I was selected to be one of the team members.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...