September 15, 2011

693 - a cure for everything


Image result for 693 tablets

When we were children, many ailments were treated by a tablet with the digits 693 on it. So our parents would ask us to take one 693 and soon even a very high fever would be gone. It was a miracle cure in the days when doctors were rare and a visit could be too expensive.

I once had a very bad wound on the knee, cut by a rusty zinc sheet which was used as a gate for my mother's vegetable garden. After a few days, the wound had pus oozing out, even though my mother cleaned it with salt water very well. She quickly pounded two tables of 693 and placed the powder on my knee. She then tore a piece of white cloth to bandage my wound. After a second application, my wound got better. Today I still have a good scar to show for the good treatment.

Sulfapyridine (INN; also known as sulphapyridine) is a sulfonamide antibacterial medication. At one time, it was commonly referred to as M&B 693. Sulfapyridine is no longer prescribed for treatment of infections in humans

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...