October 2, 2011

Nasi Lemak


When was the first time you had your nasi lemak?

Mine was way back in the 1970's when I went to study in Kuala Lumpur. In those days Sibu was fairly monocultural in way of food. Most Chinese families were traditional and food was very basic.

Malay food was mainly satay and pulut panggang!! There were no Malay or Halal restaurants in the mainly Chinese populated town of Sibu.

I was given my first packet of nasi lemak wrapped in banana leaves and newspaper. I remember it being on 50 cents and I ate it with my church friend. It was interesting how the first might was quite miserable because it was the first time I had cold rice, covered with chilli sauce.

Then my friend told me that the sauce was sambal and that I would taste the sweetness of rice which was cooked in coconut milk. At first I did not really believe her. Then as I slowly observed her eating with her hand like a Malay I realised how much she loved the breakfast.

Was it ok to eat the rice cold? Won't she get a stomach ache? She smiled.

After that incident I decided that I must embrace nasi lemak as it was a common food and I would have not trouble finding it in West Malaysia. I even learned to prepare nasi lemak very well.

Today back home in Sibu, every one knows about nasi lemak. It is very popular but still not as popular as kampua or mee sua.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...