April 19, 2014

Selasih



Basil grows very easily every where in SArawak. The leaves are useful when we make salads and once in a while, we can chop the leaves up and make a great omelette.

The seeds are used by the Malays to make a good drink . Add to Air Bandung, the seeds would swell up and they look like tadpoles.

It is very cooling to drink air bandung with basil seeds. This drink will relieve stress too .


When I was a young child in Sibu, I would always look forward to the the Puasa Month so that I could enjoy the selasih (the little tadpoles) in the red grenadine drink. We could buy that in the small sundry shop in our neighbourhood.

Besides, my neighbour, our Kak, would always call us to enjoy this drink in her house during Raya with all the lovely cakes she made.
Image result for selasih from basil and air bandungNo photo description available.



Many years alter in Miri, I was able to buy my own selasih and make air bandung with those tiny little seeds, to refresh my childhood Raya memories.

That is indeed a lovely part of my beautiful memories, growing up in Kampong Nyabor, Sibu.

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...