June 15, 2019

Sum boi drink or Sour Plum Drink

For Chinese girls, a sour drink is always preferred to something sweet.

throughout our child hood, in Sibu, we enjoyed nibbling on sum boi or dried sour plums imported from China or making a sweet sour drink from a few plums stirred in water. It was either cold or warm. It was really a thirst quencher. Today we have improved many fruit juices by adding sour


plums to them.Image may contain: drink, indoor and food

The first lime tree I ever saw in my life belong to the Ngui family who lived just a stone throw away from my grandfather's house in Kwong Ann Crescent. As a little girl of 5, having just come from Pulau Kerto for Christmas visiting (*and my first Christmas tree), I was really thrilled by the small lime fruits. I was given a few, which I brought all the way home to Pulau Kerto tied in a small home made handkerchief. I was so possessive of the fruits that I did not want to share any of them with my cousins. I had thought that limes then were fruits only grown by the rich, like the pomeloes grown by the Sg. Sadit Ting family.

Many years later when I went to school in Sibu I made friends with the pretty grand daughter of Mr. Ngui. That's my memorable visit to Ivy Ngui's family.

Image may contain: food
sum boi can be added to lime juices and kedundong juice too...
Buah Kedundong is another example.

My favourite is blended lime juice with three or four sour plums. Awesome drink!!

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...