June 14, 2019

Young Coconut Leaves

I live in a country with diverse cultures and I have plenty to learn all through my life.

However one intriguing feature of the Malays and the ethnic groups is their art which use leaves for example.

I did not really pay much attention to my friends when they made their rice dumplings or ketupat. So I never did learn my anyaman (weaving) Now in my old age, I am still intrigued by all the things they can make using the young coconut leaves or young shoots.

Each fasting month comes and goes. And I still haven't yet learned the art of making ketupat.

Young coconut leaves are pretty and their colours are beautiful. They are soft and lovely to use when making ketupat casings.Image result for daun kelapa for katupong



They can be used to weave baskets.Image result for daun kelapa

Make figurines of animals.
Image result for daun kelapaImage result for daun kelapa

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...