July 17, 2019

Epitaph for Grandmother

 My grandfather Tiong Kung Ping was over wrought when my Grandmother chong passed away at a young age of 38, from hemorrhaging caused by a miscarriage.


Grandfather asked Rev Yao shiao King to write the epitaph in Chinese for her "funeral porcelain photo" a norm at that time. The photo is rather faded and the characters are not so clear, but definitely the calligraphy belonged to Rev Yao Shiao King, my grandfather's best friend.

Recently my friend How K Hwong helped me explain the words (the epitaph of my grandmother).

名門閨秀 [淑?]慧蜚聲
桃夭早X 伉儷篤情
蟹文共賞 相夫成名
克家有子 群秀爭榮
郝鍾美德 [?]母勤明
古之賢媍 直可抗衡
仰瞻懿範 女界典型
揚芬彤管 [雖][?]猶生

My grandmother had come from an eminent family, Chong family, with sister who was educated in English and a brother who was also educated in English in Singapore. Great Grandfather Chong Swee Ging /Kheng was originally a pioneer from Fuqing who settled down in Java for a while,and later they moved to Singapore and finally to Sibu. (There may be some inaccuracies here)

I like the way my friend also said that the first four words also meant that my grandmother was a graceful young lady of talent and virtue who hailed from a eminent family. So befitting!!

No comments:

Chang Ta Kang : Council Negri Member

After the handing over of Sarawak to the British Colonial Government, a new Constitution was drafted in 1956. The membership of Council Neg...