January 1, 2020

Pig Stomach for Grandma




My mother would always buy a pig stomach to stew for her mother, my ngie mah, who would visit quite regularly to catch movies and to see her daughters and grandchildren.When she came to Sibu she would stay with us, to bring cheer to the family, espeically after my father passed away in 1965.

 Pig stomachs were cheap in those days but I would always remember how carefully my mother prepared the stomach for her cooking. She did not want to teach me how to prepare it because she wanted me to study hard to be more than just a housewife, to go beyond secondary school. It was her dream that her children must go to university.

Waving her daughters out of her kitchen was a big reminder at that time for me to study really hard and be some one worth while. but then looking at my grandmother and my mother together sharing the pig stomach soup was also valuable. They were happy when talking to each other, They appreciated each other. It was just so good witnessing that scene. The bonding was electrical. They were good role models.

I wonder how many busy housewives would go out to the market nowadays to buy just one pig stomach and clean it up from scratch, simmer it slowly for her old mother..and spend time chatting, reminiscing...and appreciating each other's company.

Wishing all of you perfect communication every day.

Oh Perfect Love.



No comments:

Red Eyed Fish, Patin and Empurau

 Red Eyed Fish Baked with Ern Chao My parents enjoyed raising us in Pulau Kerto at the Hua Hong Ice Factory (also rice mill). Dad would fish...