December 31, 2019

Swimming in the Rajang River

Image may contain: 1 person, swimming, ocean, outdoor, water and nature

Where did you learn to swim? Where did you play Tarzan and Jane? Did you have your own Tarzan if you were a girl? Did you have your own Jane if you were a boy?

I was so ugly as a young girl (my relatives always made me remember that) I did not dare to think about a Tarzan in my young life. But I was naughty and swam in the Rajang like any boy.

I thought no Foochow boy would ever think of me as their Jane.

But I tried to use my eyes to observe, which later would be used in my short stories and my oral stories in my class room..We really need to encourage each other to do well. Not to put others down.

Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor and water


How did we learn to swim in the olden days? 1950's, 1960's?

We were just thrown into the river by an older relative. After struggling a few times, we would start to kick and float..And move forward. That was how I learned to swim.

the Rajang River was our swimming pool then. These two photos show how wide the river was at Nang Chong in those days.

No comments:

Red Eyed Fish, Patin and Empurau

 Red Eyed Fish Baked with Ern Chao My parents enjoyed raising us in Pulau Kerto at the Hua Hong Ice Factory (also rice mill). Dad would fish...