July 8, 2020

Wild Passon Fruit - Dragon Pearl Fruit



When we were young, we would love to pick this fruit to eat, especially when we were walking home from school. Most of my friends were not shy eating them and in those days we had not heard about pollution and no one used weedicides and pesticides on the footpath we used to go to school.

Our school gardeners used either the scythe or the old mowing machine. These wild passion fruit vines crawled all over the place if they were not cut by any human beings.

These dragon pearl fruits are actually wild passion fruits. Perhaps it is full of vitamin C like the huge passion fruits which are now cultivated in farms.
Sarawakiana@2: Sarawakian Local Delights : Exotic Wild Passion ...
The tamu sells the leaves which make a good stir fry. The young dragon pearl fruit also makes a good vegetable dish.

Passion fruits are now cultivated by the Foochows and other groups of people in Sibu and Miri. they fetch a very good price. Many use fresh fruits to decorate their cakes. Today I find the fresh fruits very sour and not to my liking. And if I make fresh drinks from the fruits I have to add some honey.

while the rich buy the expensive passion fruits which might come from overseas, I am happy to eat the leaves and the green fruits of the wild passion fruits.

And if I find a ripen golden Pok Pok Jee I will definitely pop it into my mouth like in the olden days.

Cheers.

No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...