July 7, 2020

Sibu : Social Dances

Who graced the dance floors of Sibu in the 1950's?

There were some popular places in Sibu for social dances - the Sibu Recreational Club or SRC, the Island Club(mainly for the colonial officers and some of the socialites), the Foochow Association and the Police Mess.

In the 1930's, my father and his third brother studied in Shanghai for several years where they learned social dancing as part of their college activities. My father told us that they had a very all rounded kind of education in the American run colleges. He particularly enjoyed games especially boat rowing, and dancing. He had enjoyed his music lessons.

 Rev James Hoover was instrumental in helping to send many Sibu boys enrol in Christian colleges in Shanghai. Those who were good in English in those days entered good colleges.

My father used to tell us very humourously that when they returned to Sibu they had happy feet. My father and his brother loved to dance.

While my father never brought my mother to dances ( because she used the excuse of having children to look after) , my third uncle was adamant about bringing his pretty wife to dance in the Sibu Recreaction club or any place where dances were held.

Image may contain: 2 people


When I was a starry eyed child I saw many couples all dressed up for their parties when my relatives and I walked from the Methodist Masland Church back to Kampong Nyabor.

Later on, when I was a student in Methodist Secondary School, I would catch sight of my Third Uncle and Third Aunty going for a dance on Saturdays. They parked their jeep at Mr. Wong Bing Sing's school quarters. And I would just have finished playing hockey.

My third uncle and his pretty wife were so good looking, especially when they prepared to go dancing. Aunt Kie kee was tall and she was also a good dancer. Having had a good education under Mrs. Mary Hoover, Aunt Kie Kee cut a very good figure in any social gathering with her grace and great demeanour. She was always well dressed and proper.

There were a few couples in Sibu who were great dancers, including the eldest son of Rev Ling Kai Cheng. His wife came from a very wealthy Hin Hua family too. Later the couple moved to Hong Kong, we were told. Those who were good dancers formed the upper crust of the Sibu Society.

Another couple who were great dancers were Mr and Mrs. Ong. Mrs. Ong or Madam Lu Ai Ding was related to my third aunt. Aunty Ai Ding looked good in photos, wearing cheong sam all the time.

My mum has always been very gracious about my father and his dancing partners.

No comments:

Soh Mien on First Day of Lunar New Year

 Today 10.2.2024 is the first day of the New Lunar Year of the Dragon. Yes I have cooked the chicken and made the soh mien. Happy New Year!!...